If You Have Cats, Don’t Have Lilies for Easter
With Easter comes all of the floral arrangements to brighten up your house. Easter lilies, tiger lilies, Asiatic lilies and Japanese show lilies sure look and smell nice, but they could be fatal for your cats and kittens at home.
According to the FDA, if cats take even a few licks of pollen grain off their fur, they could suffer kidney failure within a small amount of time.
Cats may have a tendency to eat some grass or plants, but eating an entire lily is poisonous.
If you think your cat may have eaten a lily, FDA vet Melanie McLean says the first symptom you’ll likely see is vomiting. Hopefully, that’ll lessen over a few hours. Then, within 12-24 hours, they may urinate more frequently. If it’s kidney failure, they’ll stop urinating. If untreated, your feline friend may die within a week.
If you believe your cat has eaten a lily, experts suggest you take your cat to your vet immediately.
For more on this subject, visit the FDA‘s website.