Last Day of School: How Do You Keep Your Kids Busy Without Digital During Summer?
Summer is here! Thank God for the warm weather, but being a mom isn't always fun this time of year. A lot of parents can't wait for school to start again because it keeps the kids busy. But how mean is that? Summertime can be fun -- and educational -- for you and your kids. Kids can get angry, though, when they have to do something they don't want to do.
So here's my own advice to for battling boredom this summer ... and for making your own life easier:
- First of all, find out what your kids' goals are for the summer. Have them make a list of what they want to do. Post it on the wall.
- Speaking from experience, kids hate being pulled away from the TV or their digital devices. I usually take them away and say "If you don't start acting right, you are never getting this back." If that doesn't work, move on to the next step.
- Make a list of your everyday expectations for your kids. Aside from the normal "make your bed," "brush your teeth" or "feed the dogs," save out some extra chores. Pulling the weeds always sucks, but if they want to go to the trampoline park, use their cellphones or laptops or visit the mall, then this item needs to be finished off once a week.
- Consistency is the key. If you make them do it, then you need to follow through with what you say you are going to do to.
- Above all, and no matter what their chores are going to be, make sure they are outside for at least two hours every day. Whether they're reading, playing kickball or building a fort, being outside increases the imagination tenfold.
Hope these tips help. Have a great summer!