Tory Lanez Handcuffed, Taken Into Custody for Violating Orders in Case Against Megan Thee Stallion – Report
UPDATE (April 5)
A rep for the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office confirmed to XXL on Tuesday that Tory Lanez's bail was set for $350,000 and that he was remanded into custody. The rapper-singer, who was released hours later, has a pretrial hearing set for June 9 and his trial is scheduled for September.
Tory's attorney, Shawn Holley, released a statement to XXL, which said, "The DA requested that Mr. Peterson’s bail be revoked or, in the alternative, that it be increased to $5 million. We are pleased that the Court rejected those outrageous requests."
It was also revealed in court that the DNA of four people were found on the handgun from the shooting, making the finding inconclusive regarding if Tory's DNA was on the gun. He was also excluded as a contributor to his DNA being on the magazine—or clip—of the handgun.
Megan Thee Stallion's attorney, Alex Spiro, offered a statement today based on today's court proceedings.
"A judge found sufficient evidence of Mr. Peterson’s guilt to order him to stand trial," Spiro said. "Additionally, the judge found sufficient evidence today that he violated the order of protection and had him handcuffed in the courtroom. The self-serving noise in this case will not change the facts or prevent this case from proceeding."
Tory, born Daystar Peterson, appeared in court in Los Angeles today (April 5) for the preliminary hearing regarding the July 12, 2020 shooting that left Megan Thee Stallion with gunshot wounds at the back of her feet. Rolling Stone reporter Nancy Dillion revealed that the Toronto crooner was handcuffed and remanded to custody until he satisfies a new bail amount of $350,000 in the felony assault case involving Megan.
Judge David Herriford, who is presiding over the case, concluded that Tory Lanez was in violation of discovery protective order and personal contact order.
Tory was found guilty of violating the protective order Megan has against him in July of last year when he hit the Rolling Loud Miami stage with DaBaby. Meg was at the festival as well, and apparently Tory Lanez was less than the court-ordered 100 yards away from Megan. As a result, in August, his bail was increased from $190,000 to $250,000—an additional $60,000—which he was ordered to pay to remain out of jail.
Based on information obtained by Dillion in court today, Judge Herriford "heard nearly an hour of argument" pertaining to tweets Tory posted, and asserted that some of the social media posts "seem to be clear messages" to Megan Thee Stallion.
Another condition seems to have been added to Tory Lanez's release terms, which is that he is now prohibited from mentioning "the complaining witness in this case in any social media." The "complaining witness" can be presumed to be the Houston-bred rapper.
Tory is also facing a carrying a concealed firearm in a vehicle charge from that same 2020 shooting incident.
The trial date has additionally been set for Sept. 14.
XXL has reached out to reps and attorneys for both Tory Lanez and Megan Thee Stallion for comment.