Discarded Cigarettes Blamed For Yakima Duplex Fire
Yakima Fire Department crews were busy Wednesday with a duplex and carport fire in the 4000 block of West Lincoln Avenue. Investigators say the fire was started by "discarded cigarettes."
The fire may have started in the carport attached to the duplex
The fire was reported at about 10:35 am Wednesday. Crews arrived to find a carport on fire that was attached to a duplex. Smoke was coming from the attic along the entire length of the both units. One person was rescued from the fire another person was able to make it out on their own. No injuries were reported. Firefighters spent about 2 hours dousing flames of the fire. A press release from the Yakima Fire Department says "the duplex unit where the fire began sustained 50 percent loss. The second unit sustained minimal damage."
Damage is estimated at $200,000. 19 firefighters battled the flames of the fire.
It was the second fire this week.
As previously reported the fire was the second so far this week
A Yakima Fire Department Firefighter was injured battling flames of a house fire on Monday. Firefighters responded to the fire in the 7000 block of Englewood Avenue at about 2:15 pm Monday. When they arrived two people living at the home had already escaped the fire and were waiting outside.
A news release says a Firefighter "suffered minor injuries due to ceiling material falling and striking him in the helmet. He was evaluated and remained working on scene."
Firefighters say it was an extremely tough fire to douse because of the severe wind on Monday. They say the fire spread quickly to the attic but crews were able to surround the attic fire and keep it from burning the entire structure, or spreading to neighboring homes. The center of the roof collapsed into the interior, and there's significant water damage throughout the home. The wind forced fire crews to call a Second Alarm and for more help. West Valley, East Valley, Selah and the Yakima Training Center all sent an Engine Company. The Yakima Training Center also helped with the fire.
The fire is being blamed on embers from a wood stove
The cause of the fire is being blamed on an ember from the wood stove chimney landing on wood shakes of the home’s roof. The fire was then driven by the heavy winds on Monday.
Damage is estimated at $200,000.