Tales from the Scale: Kohlrabi Slaw and Turmeric
Can I get an amen for Kohlrabi?
I've made two slaws since last week and wow! Just wow!
Mom and I did some social distant visiting recently and in her cupboard, she had lime infused olive oil!
It calls for citrus so I figured this might work and OMG it sure did.
Here's what you'll need to make your own kohlrabi slaw
1) 1-2 Kohlrabi's leaves chopped (can be used in salads) and peeled. Then cut into matchsticks
2) 1-2 apples peeled and cut into matchsticks
3) 1 seeded and chopped jalapeno
4) 1/2 green bell pepper seeded and chopped, 1/2 orange bell pepper (these we additions and they really make the salad pop)
5) A handful of radishes sliced into matchstick
For your Dressing
3) Salt and pepper to taste
4) 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard (we used spicy brown because that's what was on hand)
5) 1 tablespoon of honey
6) 4 tablespoons of olive oil
7) Citrus, a squirt of lime or lemon. I prefer lime :)
Chop, pour, mix, and enjoy! It gets better as time goes on so if you make it early and set it in the fridge it allows that delicious dressing to soak up the goods!
I still have my Acorn Squash soup to make and also tackling the fennel is on the list but things have been wild lately so one step at a time.
Please remember to take some time to take a deep breath. I have noticed lately, it's almost therapeutic for me to be in the kitchen with no distractions (normally I am listening to music or watching a show as I cook_ working hard to use what's in the fridge and getting creative with spices. I think my favorites truly are cumin, paprika, Tumeric, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. I put the mixture on my scrambled eggs, even broccolini and I love it!